Tuesday, December 15, 2009

The Magic Of Marine Ecology: Birth of THE DANGER BEARS


She sat diagonally behind me in marine ecology class. Round head, big round eyes, orange backpack, strange jackets, a dirty mouth, cussed like a sailor.

I should have know that we would be friends but at the time I didn't have the any idea.

My earliest memories of Claire are her harassing remarks either directed at me, or at this person I will call Bert. Bert was a total idiot, most of the time, but at certain times could be genuinely hilarious, but only if he was being mean. Claire completely loathed him, and to be honest I'm not a big fan of ass holes either. Everyone in the class took Bert's bullshit all the time, and would laugh at his jokes and go along with whatever he was saying so that we wouldn't become his next victim...

Everyone, that is, except Claire. She would blatantly mock Bert and tell him straight up how much of an ass he was. Then I started joining in, and eventually we were tag teaming Bert, and then just kind of making fun of each other (but in a teasing/friendly way).

When the year was up, I had aced the class and Claire had barely passed I think. (My memory is a bit foggy junior year and I don't know why, but I have a feeling it's because of all the Acutane I was on). Either way, we had become pretty good friends and I enjoyed being around her. Claire has always had this awesome ability to be herself, and I love that.

Claire also showed me a website to help me learn guitar, and I had recorded a song and put it up on my myspace page. It was called "Hello Mr. Sunshine" and it was one of the very first songs I had ever recorded, right in my bedroom with a little USB mike. Pretty crappy quality really.

So, as soon as Claire and I figured out that we both had songs on our myspace's we had to check them out. This was probably a few days after school had ended, and the summer was just starting. I distinctly remember going onto Claire's page and clicking on the song and listening. I had never heard her sing or play guitar before.

I was in shock! She sounded really fantastic, better than I could have ever imagined. Her voice was soft and had this really great texture to it, and her song was just genius in my opinion. She listened to my stuff, commenting went down, then phone calls...

Next thing I know Claire and I were in her music room, making our first song.



No comments:

Post a Comment