Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Wisdom Teeth


I want to start this next blog with a very important fact regarding my mother.

I truly do love her very much, probably more than any other person on this planet.

She also drives me absolutely nuts sometimes, as I am sure I have the same side effect on her. So Mom, if you ever end up reading, this just know that I love you. Maybe at this line stop reading (I know you too well and of course you won't)

My momma hated our name. Just absolutely did not like it. She really just did not think is was catchy, she thought it was weird, and any opportunity she got she commented on how she disapproved of it. Talk about annoying.

At first I would subtly lie to her and tell her that it was temporary; that we were desperately searching for something suitable to call ourselves. This only worked for so long.

If any one person has greatly influenced The Danger Bears the most, I would have to say it's probably my mom. The thing is she has no fear of hurting my feeling with harsh criticism. Which is fine when I am asking for her opinion, which usually I am not.

Dane that song is too slow, speed it up!
Dane who wrote that? Oh, I see, not you, I don't like it at all.
Dane what's that weird noise in the background?
Dane why don't you sell more CD's.
Sell them for this much, do this, do that!
Here's what you need to do Dane, blah blah blah.
You didn't sing very well last night, you've sounded better, Were you sick? (No, I wasn't)
You looked nervous.
You were fidgeting.
You guys looked frompy at your show.
I hated those head dresses, you guys looked much better when you took them off.

Most of the criticism I honestly listen to (although I would never let her know that, hell no). Because my mother is a pretty damn smart lady and I trust her. But some things that she says have actually compelled me to do the opposite. I feel that this has really affected how our music has formed.

One thing that really pisses me off though, is when I would be writing a song in my room (just for me, not to be recorded, just a private song) and she would make come out of nowhere and comment about it, when I really didn't care for anyone to listen to it. Those were the only times when I would lose my cool with her musically. She really knows how to get my flippin goat.

However, when my mother did compliment our music, I knew she really meant it...

You guys did awesome on the radio, you sounded fantastic.
I think you guys could be a hit, because your music relates to everyone.
Your voice and Claire's voice mesh together so well.
You guys were the best band that played tonight.
Everyone was so excited to see you.
I'm amazed at how much your music has expanded.
You actually sound like good music!
I'm telling all my friends about you.
You should make your little sister your manager (not happening, that's actually a counter example of a good idea)

I can always ask my mom for an honest observation of our performance, and this I feel has helped me to become a better performer and lyric writer. I love my mom, and finally I have written a song with her in it, it's about time! Hopefully it will be recorded soon. It's called Strong.

Eventually she did come to love our name, THE DANGER BEARS.
She just had to warm up to it first.

My Dad is a whole other blog for a whole other day.
Goodnight Friends.

-Danger




1 comment: