Saturday, December 26, 2009

Name Game


Names are important. Names are a part of who we are!

<---(our first band photo, taken ourselves, haha, ghetto)

There is an ongoing debate in my head on whether as people our names shape our lives, or if our lives shape our names. It is a troubling question, especially when you are naming a band.

We wanted to convey the type of music we were making in our name. I think we really wanted to reflect the people that we were too.
Something kind of interesting, memorable, light hearted but having the potential to go in depth. Something REAL. Something kind of entertaining.

We made lists of potential names:

Chicken Scratch (ended up being the name of our album)

Out of Laguna ( we ended up leaving Laguna)

Out of Egypt ( Exodus?)

Garden Party (probably already a band named that or something)

Water Proof (what? that was a stupid idea)

Luck Joy Smugglers ( I was probably reading The Joy Luck Club in English)

The Free Birds (ended up naming a song that)

Sun Beam (no comment)

The Little Ministers ( I'm catholic so... that one didn't really make sense)

The Sol Bears (getting warmer)


This was the biggest hurdle we had come upon, and finally we had found the name for us. Yes Folks, we would call ourselves...

THE DANGER BEARS

At first it didn't really roll off the tongue, we thought it might be too weird. What does that mean?
Are people going to know we are a band, or are they going to think we're action heroes or something?

We didn't know and essentially we didn't really give a shit because we liked it!

The Danger Bears is just a combinations of Claire and I's nicknames.
Claire BEAR

and Dane-ger or DANGER...

I got the nickname Dane-ger when I was playing volleyball. I played all four years of high school as an opposite (I'm left handed).

Every year as soon as season was over, the basketball team would take over the gym and we would have to figure out something to do. Many times we would play a highly intensified form of soccer with virtually no rules dubbed Volleysoccer. Though there may be a debate about who actually christened the nickname, there is no debate as to why I was called that.

I repeatedly would nail my friend Chris in the crotch with the soccer ball. (Sorry Chris)

Once in freshmen year when I was throwing him the volleyball, I chucked it at his nuts. (no explanation). And I think two times I kicked the ball from probably six feet away and they hit him, and he went down...fast.

I got really into those games and I'm not sure if I ever stopped running because after they ricocheted off of Chris's nether region I would have possession of the ball again! I think one time I actually had to hop over his moaning body.

In my senior year sometimes the crowd would chant DANE- GER when I would serve. Good times. Good times. My friend Megan claims to have officially coined my nickname, but the jury is still out on that one.

Anyways that's where we got our name. The Danger Bears.

When we told Claire's parents they were thrilled. SAWEET!
we thought we had conquered the world, we had a song and a name, we were going to build a myspace and post the song! Nothing could stop us! The world was our oyster!

That is of course,
until I told my
MOTHER...


here's a link to our music page, give her a gander.

http://www.myspace.com/thedangerbears

p.s. feel free to send any personal Danger Bear stories to my email
dangerbears@hotmail.com
and I will post them.



No comments:

Post a Comment